How To Keep Rats Away From Your Austin Home
October 30, 2021
Two rat species commonly invade residential homes in Austin. These species are roof rats and Norway Rats. Both of these species are large, with roof rats ranging between 12 to 16 inches long and Norway rats 14 to 17 inches; both of these measurements include the tail. However, roof rats are much more agile and are excellent climbers. Because of this, they like to nest in trees, enter a home through the roofline, and infest attics. On the other hand, Norway rats are heavy and prefer to nest close to the ground, infesting basements and crawlspaces.
Other identifiers of these species are:
Roof Rats: Have a pointed nose, large eyes, and large ears. They have dark brown to black fur with a lighter colored underbelly.
Norway Rats: Have shabby brown fur, their tail is bi-colored, and they have a blunt nose, small eyes, and small ears.
Both of these species have spent thousands of years living alongside humans, which has created a dependency on the side of rodents. Like pigeons in the city, rats have come to rely on people for easy access to food. Unfortunately, this means any home can become infested with rats if the conditions are there. To keep this from happening on your Austin, Texas property, you should know about the problems they cause, how to prevent them, and how professionals can help.
Destruction And Disease
Rats are double trouble because they can both destroy your home and spread bacteria that can make you and your family sick. The reason rats cause so much damage is because, like other rodents, their teeth are constantly growing, so they chew and gnaw to keep their teeth from overgrowing. The list of materials rats will chew on is long, including wood, plaster, insulation, PVC piping, wiring, flooring, and more. Here are some of the destruction rats can cause to a residential home:
- Holes chewed in the home’s structure
- Use of insulation to create nests
- Gnaw on furniture and personal belongings
- Cause a fire hazard by chewing on wires
- Create flooding by damaging pipes
The health concerns caused by rodents are:
- Spreading of diseases such as rat-bite fever, salmonellosis, hantavirus, leptospirosis, and more,
- Contamination of food with urination, feces, and saliva.
- The spreading of parasites like fleas and ticks, which can create other problems for your home.
Rats only need a hole the size of a penny to squeeze through and get inside of a home. This is one reason why it is so difficult to keep rats out once they have found food on your property and away. To prevent rodents, you should:
- Seal any cracks and gaps in the exterior of your home, including around the foundation and along the roofline.
- Remove food sources by keeping your home clean, taking the garbage out regularly, and using garbage bins that have secure lids.
- Fix any leaking pipes and faucets to remove water sources.
- Keep the interior and exterior of your home clutter-free and remove excess foliage in your yard.
While you should use these preventative measures around your home, you should know they may not keep rats away completely. If this is something you are concerned about, you should consider professional pest control assistance for prevention and assistance for active infestations.
The most effective and safest way to handle a rat infestation is to contact professionals. If you are worried about rats on your Austin property, you should give us a call at Bella Bugs. We have comprehensive services provided by a dedicated team. With Bella Bugs, you will be protected year-round from the rodents that want to get into your home. So don’t wait, call today!